Effective Date : June 1, 2022
Akadasia Pte Ltd (“Akadasia”, ”us”, “we”, or “our”) operates the Akadasia website and learning management platform (https://www.akadasia.com, “Akadasia”). We also provide training, upskilling, and digital transformation services for users, including but not limited to teachers, faculty, staff, schools, universities, and other learning departments or institutions. (Collectively, for both platform and services, hereinafter referred to as the “Service”.)
Information Collection And Use
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our Service to you.
Types of Data Collected
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our Service to you.
System & Usage Data
We may also collect information on how the Service is accessed and used (“System & Usage Data”). This may include information such as device type, Internet Protocol address (IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data. We collect information, including Personal Data (described above), when you sign up for a user account, participate in online courses, register for a paid certificate, send us email messages and/or participate in our public forums. We also collect certain usage information about student performance and patterns of learning. In addition, we track information indicating, among other things, which pages of our Service and website were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used.
Mobile Application Information
If you connect using our mobile application:
- Geo-Location Information. We may request access or permission to and track location-based information from your mobile device, either continuously or while you are using our mobile application, to provide location-based services. If you wish to change our access or permissions, you may do so in your device’s settings.
- Mobile Device Access. We may request access or permission to certain features from your mobile device, including your mobile device’s [bluetooth, calendar, camera, contacts, microphone, reminders, sensors, SMS messages, social media accounts, storage,] and other features. If you wish to change our access or permissions, you may do so in your device’s settings.
- Mobile Device Data. We may collect device information (such as your mobile device ID, model and manufacturer), operating system, version information and IP address.
- Push Notifications. We may request to send you push notifications regarding your account or the Application. If you wish to opt-out from receiving these types of communications, you may turn them off in your device’s settings.
Tracking & Cookies Data
Use and Disclosure of Data
Akadasia uses the collected data for various purposes:
We and the educational institutions and other business partners that provide the Service of Akadasia (“Partners”) may use the information about you collected (including your Personal Data) in connection with the following. In cases where we share or disclose your Personal Data: (1) the third party recipients are required to handle the Personal Data in a confidential manner and to maintain adequate security to protect the information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access or disclosure, alteration, and destruction; and (2) we will only disclose and share the Personal Data that is required by the third party to fulfil the purpose stated at the time of collection.
- To enable the Partners to provide, administer, and improve the courses.
- To detect, prevent, and address technical issues
- To help us and the Partners improve the Service, both individually (e.g., by course staff when working with a student) and in aggregate, and to individualise the experience and to evaluate the access and use of the Service and the impact on the worldwide educational community.
- For purposes of scientific research, particularly, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education.
- To track both individual and aggregate attendance, progress and completion of an online course, and to analyse statistics on student performance and how students learn.
- To monitor and detect violations of the Code of Honor, the Terms of Service, as well as other misuses and potential misuses of the Service.
- To publish information, but not Personal Data, gathered about Service access, use, impact, and student performance.
- To send you updates about online courses offered by Akadasia or other events, to send you communications about products or services of Akadasia and its Partners, that may be of interest to you, or to send you email messages about Service maintenance or updates.
- To archive this information and/or use it for future communications with you.
- To maintain and improve the functioning and security of the Service and our software, systems, and network.
- To authenticate your identity when you register for a paid certificate.
- To process refunds, as applicable.
We will share information we collect with the Partners, and we and the Partners may share this information (including Personal Data) with third parties as follows:
- With service providers or contractors that perform certain functions on our or the Partners’ behalf, including processing information that you provide to us on the website and Service, processing purchases via third party providers, and other transactions through the Service, operating the Service or portions of it, providing or administering courses, or in connection with other aspects of Akadasia or Partner services.
- With other visitors to the website and Service, to the extent that you submit comments, course work, or other information or content (collectively, “Postings”) to a portion of the Site designED for public communications; and with other members of an online class of which you are a member, to the extent you submit Postings to a portion of the website and Service designED for viewing by those class members. We may provide your Postings to students who later enrol in the same classes as you, within the context of the forums, the courseware, or otherwise. If we do re-post your Postings originally made to non-public portions of the website and Service, we will post them without your real name and e-mail (except with your express permission), but we may use your username without your consent.
- To provide Akadasia and its Partners, sponsors, and third-parties opportunities to conduct marketing and sales activities, as well as market or offer their products & services to you.
- For purposes of scientific research, particularly, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education. However, we will only share Personal Data about you for this purpose to the extent doing so complies with applicable law and is limited to the Personal Data required to fulfil the purposes stated at the time of collection.
- To provide opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals. For instance, we may recommend specific study partners or connect potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, we may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but we will only provide other users your username, and not disclose your real name or e-mail address to your contact.
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
- For integration with third party services. For example, videos and other content may be hosted on YouTube and other websites not controlled by Akadasia.
In addition, we may share aggregated information that does not personally identify you with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and other business partners.
Usernames and Postings
Comments or other information posted by you to our forums, wikis or other areas as required by the Service designED for public communications or communications among registered class members may be viewed and downloaded by others who visit and or use the Service. For this reason, we encourage you to use discretion when deciding whether to post any information that can be used to identify you to those forums (or other public or class-wide areas).
Use for Pedagogical and
Transfer Of Data
Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to and maintained on computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from your jurisdiction.
We are not responsible for the actions of third parties with whom you share personal or sensitive data, and we have no authority to manage or control third-party solicitations. If you no longer wish to receive correspondence, emails or other communications from third parties, you are responsible for contacting the third party directly.
If you do not agree with these terms, then please do not access, browse, or register for the Service. If you choose not to provide us with certain information required to provide you with the Service, you may not be able to establish a user account and we may not be able to provide you with the services
Links To Other Sites
Security Of Data
We use administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your personal information. While we have taken reasonable steps to secure the personal information you provide to us, please be aware that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable, and no method of data transmission can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse. Any information disclosed online is vulnerable to interception and misuse by unauthorised parties. Therefore, we cannot guarantee complete security if you provide personal information.
Policy for Children
We do not knowingly solicit information from or market to children under the age of 13. If you become aware of any data we have collected from children under age 13, please contact us using the contact information provided below.
Do not Track Controls
GDPR RIght to Erasure
Recital 65 reads as follows:
A data subject should have the right to have personal data concerning him or her rectified and a ‘right to be forgotten’ where the retention of such data infringes this Regulation or Union or Member State law to which the controller is subject. In particular, a data subject should have the right to have his or her personal data erased and no longer processed where the personal data are no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are collected or otherwise processed, where a data subject has withdrawn his or her consent or objects to the processing of personal data concerning him or her, or where the processing of his or her personal data does not otherwise comply with this Regulation. That right is relevant in particular where the data subject has given his or her consent as a child and is not fully aware of the risks involved by the processing, and later wants to remove such personal data, especially on the internet. The data subject should be able to exercise that right notwithstanding the fact that he or she is no longer a child. However, the further retention of the personal data should be lawful where it is necessary, for exercising the right of freedom of expression and information, for compliance with a legal obligation, for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller, on the grounds of public interest in the area of public health, for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes, or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
As such, you are entitled to request any personal data we hold about you be erased under the EU General Data Protection Regulation.
In order to request a data erasure, please complete this form in its entirety. We will do our best to respond within one month of receipt with either confirmation of the deletion of your data or any requests we have for further information.
The information you supply in this form will only be used for the purposes of identifying the personal data you are requesting that we erase and responding to your request. You are not obliged to complete this form to make a request, but doing so will make it easier for us to process your request quickly.
If you have questions please contact email@example.com
If you wish to read more about the General Data Protection Regulation, please visit https://gdpr.eu/tag/gdpr/
If you do not wish to file a GDPR Erasure Form by email, please write to Akadasia, 160 Robinson Road, #14-04, Singapore Business Federation Centre, Singapore 068914.